25 June 2014

Real Talk | Procrastination is the Mother of all F' ups




So earlier today I went on to Instagram and my eyes widened when I saw a picture of an outfit post by one of my fellow local bloggers. I think I released a slight gasp. As much as I loved the outfit and overall picture, that was not the reason for the reaction. The reason for the reaction was the fact that I experienced a few seconds of de ja vu. I had seen this exact outfit somewhere before.

As much as I would like to assume that everyone knows the meaning of de ja vu, I won't. De ja vu occurs when you see or experience something for the first time but you get a strong feeling that you had seen or experienced it before. The reason for my moment of de ja vu was that, neatly packed aside in my room, ready for my next outfit shoot, was the same outfit that this blogger was wearing.

This was not the first time something like this has happened to me. It has in fact happened many times. But, I just don't learn. And the reason I say that I just don't learn is because I tend to procrastinate when it comes to outfit shoots. That outfit has been ready for a couple of weeks already. I just kept putting it on hold. Now some of you may be thinking, what's the big deal.  So what if another blogger posted the same outfit, it happens. But here's the thing. Ever go somewhere all dressed up and chuffed about how you look, then arrive at your destination only to find someone else wearing the same top or pants or skirt as you? Ya, I think you catch my drift. I'm not particularly worried about those sorts of things, but somehow it strips you of the feeling that you presented the idea, especially as a blogger. And to top it off, this blogger did a really great job at it with lots of creativity put into the shoot. So why am I still going to come along and post it? Sure we probably have a different set of readers/audience, I don't know if I'll feel entirely proper doing it. 

So point is, if you snooze, you lose. This is something I need to drill into my head because as I said above, I never learn. This applies to many other things in my life. Often I think of doing something, wait too long and next thing I know the opportunity is not there anymore, or someone else put out the idea. 

As soon as you think of something that has potential, get it going as soon as possible! Otherwise, you will either lose out or by the time you want to implement the idea, it's already been put out there and it may come across as though you are trying to ride off of the idea of someone else! On that note however, it's ok to be inspired by others. These days it's rare to come across 100% originality anyway. Most things we see now are inspired by the ideas of others. But when you work off of other's ideas, make sure you add a touch of you. Actually, make the entire thing scream your name.

Hmph, I think I just motivated myself to go ahead with the outfit but with my own twist. I am my own person after all and that is what my version will shout out loud!








So get up and get it done!

Always remember:

"Procrastination is the Mother of all Fuck Ups"

(excuse the language hehee)

Until next time, have a good day, or night, wherever you are!


Visit me on



xxx
Angel

1 comment :

  1. Couldn't agree more. We always think something can wait another day, and we think that everyday, never getting it done.

    ReplyDelete